3 Trends in the ‘Aging in Place’ Movement
Becklar is helping seniors who are aging in place by helping them live fulfilling and satisfying lives in the comfort of their own homes.
Aging in place, or the ability to live independently and comfortably at home for as long as physically possible, has become an increasingly popular trend in recent years. There is a heightened desire to remain in one’s home with a sense of independence and autonomy among aging adults.
The ability to age in place promotes a sense of well-being and satisfaction, a positive quality of life, and a boost in self-esteem for seniors. Yet as people grow older, the realization of this desire becomes increasingly difficult. With age comes mobility challenges, the potential for social isolation and in many cases, cognitive decline, all of which add to the complications of aging independently at home. These challenges impact one’s ability to maintain proper healthcare, personal care, nutrition, sociality, household care, and money management to name a few.
The growing preference to age in place has led to a variety of changes in the way we approach senior care. In this article, we will explore some of the current trends in aging in place and how new strategies and technologies are expanding to support this movement.
Trends in Technology
There is a wide range of technological advancements in devices, apps, software, and the use of artificial intelligence, all being harnessed to support independent living and aging in place. Here are some examples.
- Wearable technology, from fitness trackers to personal emergency response systems (PERS), that can help seniors keep track of their activity levels or get help immediately in the event of a fall or accident.
- Remote health monitoring systems which can track an older adult’s movements, medication adherence, and other important health indicators.
- Telehealth systems that allow seniors to connect with healthcare professionals remotely and receive care from the comfort of their own home.
- Patient engagement systems that get patients more actively involved in their healthcare with a higher degree of compliance.
As technology continues to advance, we can expect to see even more innovative devices and technology solutions designed to support aging in place and improve the quality of life for older adults.
Trends in Housing
Many trends in housing and home design are being implemented to improve convenience, safety, and the overall well-being of seniors so they can stay in their homes longer without having to relocate to assisted care facilities. The following are some examples.
- Home Automation Systems and smart home devices allow older adults to control various aspects of their home environment with ease, such as lighting, temperature, and even security. This can improve their safety and comfort, while also reducing the need for physical effort and manual labor.
- The adoption of Universal Design (the process where designers take into consideration the challenges associated with aging in the development of environments for people of all ages and abilities) makes living spaces more accessible and safer for everyone, regardless of physical or cognitive abilities.
- Home Modification to support aging adults has become a huge industry. It addresses everything from installing grab bars, non-slip flooring in the bathroom, widening doorways, installing ramps for wheelchair accessibility, and much more. Such modifications enable seniors to function safely in their homes for many additional years.
- The expansion of and increased availability of Senior Living Communities is another growing trend as baby boomers age. These communities provide homes that are smaller, more accessible, and designed specifically with the senior’s safety in mind. These communities also promote increased social engagement, featuring shared spaces and amenities such as gardens, club houses, fitness centers and more.
Trends in Planning
As the U.S. population ages, the trend towards aging in place continues to gain momentum. Families have become more involved in the planning and preparation process for their loved one’s golden years. An awareness about aging in place, by individuals and by society as a whole, has skyrocketed.
We have seen significant growth in the development of geriatric care programs, counseling services and industry associations organized to provide helpful resources for families proactively preparing for the future needs of their aging loved ones.
There is also an increased emphasis on the importance of planning for long-term care needs, whether that be through family members, hired caregivers, or community resources.
Want to learn more about enterprise and individual connected safety solutions in your industry?
Becklar Solutions Address Aging in Place
With the ever-growing interest and attention around aging in place, Becklar has emerged as an industry leader in driving better personal safety and improved health and wellness through innovative technology and caring people.
Becklar’s personal health and safety solutions provide a complete suite of connected devices, innovative applications, engagement technologies and professional monitoring services. These solutions provide safety and protection to individuals of all ages. They are particularly effective in enhancing the independence and safety of aging adults and bringing peace of mind for their loved ones.
- Personal Safety – Becklar’s innovative solutions such as our medical alert pendants (mobile personal emergency response systems) make it easier than ever to protect aging adults wherever they are. This tool is connected to our award-winning monitoring center with the fastest response times in the market.
- 24/7 protection
- Easy to operate with simple voice prompts through the device
- No landline or base station required
- Light weight, discrete, and water-resistant
- Longest battery life in the industry
- Patient Compliance – Becklar also offers easy-to-use solutions that help increase patient engagement in their healthcare. Our technology uses artificial intelligence with sophisticated machine learning to proactively engage patients through any channel they choose and supplement human interactions to improve program compliance and improved health outcomes.
- Data-Driven Insights – Becklar’s solution also empowers users with helpful insights from data gathered to help improve safety, avoid incidents before they occur, and increase overall health and wellness.
In conclusion, aging in place is a significant, growing movement that is shaping the way we address caring for our aging population. Trends in technology, home modifications, specialized communities, and planning have encouraged professionals across industries to support this movement and ensure that seniors can maintain their independence and autonomy as they age.
Becklar is fully engaged in providing solutions for many aspects of aging in place, from health monitoring to medical alerts to helping seniors live fulfilling and satisfying lives in the comfort of their own homes for as long as possible.